Sydney, Australia — What was meant to be a joyful celebration of the first night of Hanukkah turned into a scene of horror Sunday evening, as gunmen opened fire on a gathering of Australia’s Jewish community at Bondi Beach, killing at least 11 people and injuring dozens more.
“It all happened so fast,” one witness said. “One moment, music and families were laughing, the next, everyone was running for their lives.”
Authorities say around 1,000 people were gathered at Archer Park, a grassy area near the beach, when at least two gunmen began shooting at 6:47 p.m. local time. Panic spread instantly as people scattered across the park, nearby streets, and the shoreline.
One suspect was shot dead at the scene, and another was wounded and taken into custody. Police said a third suspect may have been involved, though investigators urged caution as the situation continues to unfold.
The attack is being described as Australia’s worst mass shooting in nearly three decades, a grim milestone in a country known for its strict gun laws.

A Celebration Cut Short
The Hanukkah event had been advertised as family-friendly, promising “live entertainment, music, games, and fun.” Children played on the grass, swimmers were still in the ocean, and drums echoed as people danced — until gunfire shattered the evening.
Less than two hours into the event, the shooting began.
Among the dead were a 12-year-old girl and a rabbi, according to Alexander Ryvchin, co-chief executive of the Executive Council of Australian Jewry.
Emergency calls flooded in just before 7 p.m., reporting an active shooter along Campbell Parade, the road that runs parallel to Bondi Beach. Witnesses described hundreds of residents and tourists fleeing in terror, many abandoning shoes and belongings as they ran.
“It sounded like fireworks at first,” said Belinda Clemens, who was sitting on nearby rocks. “Then you realized people were running — and running hard — and you knew something was very wrong.”

‘A Sense of Disbelief’
For some, the shock was compounded by the belief that such violence simply doesn’t happen in Australia.
Amy Gunia, a CNN features writer visiting Sydney with her family, said she initially thought the popping sounds were celebratory.
“We had two kids in strollers,” she recalled. “Then we saw people running toward us. Very quickly, it became pure panic.”
“There was just this sense of disbelief,” she added, “that something like this could happen here.”
Authorities confirmed 29 people were injured and taken to hospitals across Sydney. Children and families were among those hurt.
A Hero in the Chaos
Amid the fear, one moment of bravery stood out.
Video circulating online shows a man in a white shirt tackling one of the gunmen and disarming him. Australian officials praised his actions, crediting him with saving lives.
“That man is a genuine hero,” said New South Wales Premier Chris Minns.
“There is no doubt many people are alive tonight because of his bravery.”

Explosives Discovered
Police later established an exclusion zone around a vehicle parked on Campbell Parade after discovering it contained several improvised explosive devices (IEDs). Bomb disposal units were called in, and authorities later confirmed the devices were safely removed.
The discovery deepened fears that the attack was carefully planned and intended to cause mass casualties.
‘An Act of Evil,’ Says Prime Minister
Prime Minister Anthony Albanese convened an emergency meeting of the National Security Committee and condemned the attack in stark terms.
“This is a targeted attack on Jewish Australians on the first day of Hanukkah,” Albanese said.
“A day meant for joy and faith has been turned into an act of evil — antisemitism and terrorism that has struck at the heart of our nation.”
The prime minister has faced criticism from Jewish leaders and political opponents over what they say is an inadequate response to rising antisemitism in Australia.
Rising Antisemitism Under Scrutiny
Following the October 7, 2023, attacks in Israel and the subsequent war in Gaza, antisemitic incidents surged across Australia. The government appointed special envoys to combat antisemitism and Islamophobia, but Jewish groups say the problem remains severe.
According to the Executive Council of Australian Jewry, 1,654 antisemitic incidents were reported in 2025, down from 2024 but still at what leaders describe as “unprecedented levels.”
ASIO Director-General Mike Burgess said Australia’s terror threat level remains “probable,” meaning there is a 50% chance of an attack.
“Sadly,” Burgess said, “we’ve just seen that horrific reality unfold.”
Community in Mourning, World Reacts
Jewish organizations reacted with grief and anger. The Australian Jewish Association called the attack “entirely foreseeable,” saying repeated warnings were ignored.
“Tonight, many Jews are asking whether they have a future in Australia,” the group said.
International leaders quickly condemned the attack. Israeli President Isaac Herzog described the gunmen as “vile terrorists,” while leaders from the UK, New Zealand, and across Europe offered condolences and support.
A Nation Left Asking Questions
As Sydney mourns, candles meant for celebration are now being lit in remembrance. For many Australians, the attack has shaken long-held assumptions about safety — and reignited urgent questions about hate, security, and the protection of vulnerable communities.
“This was supposed to be a night of light,” one mourner said quietly. “Instead, it became one of the darkest nights we can remember.”